Monday, July 4, 2011

Freedom on the Fourth

I am as patriotic as the next person. I love being an American, and I thoroughly appreciate the democratic process. In fact, I continue to enthusiastically participate in it no matter how many times my candidates are turned down by fellow patriots (Hillary was ROBBED).


So, here it is – the Fourth of July. The birth of our nation certainly warrants a national holiday. What a better way to tip our hats to our hard-working forefathers than to take a day off work in their honor?

The chairs are lined up and down the parade route in Canonsburg, in preparation for what is truly one of the biggest and finest Fourth of July parades, certainly in Pennsylvania and perhaps in all of the United States. I have no intention of going anywhere near Canonsburg today. See, I’m not crazy about parades, and after attending 14 consecutive Canonsburg Fourth of July parades (each attendance has its own place on the things-I’ve-done-for-you list that I have compiled for my son), I’ve blissfully retired from parade attendance.

My husband and I aren’t much for fireworks, either. I mean, they’re okay, the first few are pretty, but really, how many fireworks in a row do you want to see? They’re certainly not worth leaving the house and staying out after dark. Our mutual distaste for fireworks is one of the things that brought us together. “You don’t like fireworks? Really? Wow! I don’t like fireworks either!” A pause, as you look at each other, the happy realization that you have found your soul mate sinking in. “Let’s get married!”

So, perhaps it comes as no surprise to you that my husband and I had no specific plans for the Fourth this year, aside from watching the Boston Pops on television. When we realized that my father’s senior apartment building was having their meal at noon, as they often do on holidays, we asked him over for dinner. Our first thought was a cookout, a Fourth of July tradition we actually wholeheartedly support. We cook out on our grill all the time. However, my dad doesn’t much like eating outdoors, and since we do grill out all the time, my husband decided to make Shrimp Jambalaya. We all like shrimp.

Actually, when you really think about the meaning and spirit of Independence Day, this will be a perfect holiday celebration. And I know all about the signing of the Declaration of Independence, and not just from studying it in school, way, WAY back when. I have also seen 1776 four times on stage, which included seeing three performances of one production of the show in a five-day period. My husband played Benjamin Franklin in that production. It was my favorite husband playing my favorite founding father. How could I resist? Believe me it is a better history lesson than it is a musical.

Today, by breaking with tradition, we will celebrate the very principles upon which our nation was founded –that is, the freedom to be exactly who we want to be, to express ourselves without fear, to live as we please and to do whatever we damn well please on any given holiday.

Besides, jambalaya is at least as American as, well, hot dogs and hamburgers, originating as it did in the French quarter of New Orleans, most likely by Spanish immigrants trying to recreate their native paella without using saffron (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jambalaya ). And I did buy a festive plastic Fourth of July tablecloth for our Shrimp Jambalaya dinner. I fully support the red, white and blue thing. As anyone who knows me can tell you, red is my favorite color.

4 comments:

  1. you are too funny !! i happen to love a parade, and fireworks and cookouts...so i guess i just wont spent the 4th with you guys !!! dont you remember all those swissvale days 4th celebrations !! i loved those....we decorated our bikes..rode in a parade...such fun times !!
    bah humbug girl...but to each their own!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I'm a misfit, but we knew that already.
    ;-) If you love parades, you should check out Canonsburg's Fourth of July parade if you haven't ever. It really is kind of the ultimate 4th of July parade.

    I remember those Swissvale 4th of July parades. Truth be told, I didn't really like those either. Sorry!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AnonymousJuly 04, 2011

    I always loved parades. Unfortunately, my husband, both children, and apparently also my sister aren't crazy about them. There's nothing like standing at a parade applauding and waving while one of your children is asking for the 200th time if we can go home yet, and the other is reading a book on the little chair you thoughtfully provided. But I digress. For this July 4th, I also made something non-traditional - sauerkraut stromboli. (How's that for the ultimate in fusion cuisine!?!?)
    There's a long story that leads up to the reason I made sauerkraut stromboli - but, suffice it to say, if you ever see dried fig and orange marmalade - grab it because it is great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, how I would have loved it if my child hated parades!! Well, I don't like sauerkraut in anything, even a stromboli, I'm afraid, but if you do like sauerkraut, why not?

    ReplyDelete

On This Day My Child Was Born

  It  was February 13 th .  I was 8 ½ months pregnant and returning to work after my weekly gynecologist appointment. My doctor said he th...