Sunday, July 17, 2011

But I Won't Do That

You hear a lot lately about people and their “bucket lists” of things they must do before they die. Me, I have a list of things that I’d rather die than ever do again. I call it my “chuck it list.” 

Of course, there are things that I’ve never done that I don’t care to try. Mountain climbing, skiing, sky diving, and bungee jumping all come to mind. My “chuck it list” is made up of things I’ve tried (often more than once) and never want to experience again. My top ten things I never want to do again, in no particular order, are:

1) Washington County Fair - I was a city girl who had never even been to a county fair when I was put in charge of my organization’s food booth at the Washington County Fair one year. To say that week was a living hell is a gross understatement. Beyond the horror and utter exhaustion of that assignment, I realized that there really was nothing at a county fair that I liked to do, with the possible exception of chatting with the carnies (the quirky and off-beat folks who travel from fair to fair to run the midway rides). Nonetheless, I attended several more times when my son and his high school band performed before the School Bus Demolition Derby each year. Seriously. I can’t make this stuff up.

2) Any Body Of Water- I am a non-swimmer who hates the feeling of being in water, even in a bathtub. When I was 12 I had to be rescued by the lifeguard at a local swimming pool. At 23, I almost drowned after falling in while riding the rapids on the Youghiogheny River. You don’t have to hit me over the head more than 2 or 3 times. I can take a hint. I stay out of bodies of water now.

3) Horse Back Riding- You know that old adage about getting right back on that horse if you fall? I am here to tell you that you never have to get on a horse again after breaking your pelvis in two places when the horse you’re riding throws you, even after the nightmares stop.

4) Canton Football Hall of Fame-I once spent FIVE HOURS in this museum, because my then nine-year-old son was determined to read every word of every display in the place. That was quite enough for this lifetime.

5) Any Production Of Copacabana- I have nothing against Barry Manilow or Lola (she was a show girl), but I sat all the way through one fine , well-done production of this truly abysmal musical based on the lyrics of the song. The very thought of seeing it a second time makes me cringe.

6) A Roller Coaster- I used to ride roller coasters, within reason. But as I “matured” I lost my taste for these and most other amusement park rides. I have morphed into one of those studda bubbas who holds everyone’s stuff while sitting on the bench in the shade, eating my Sno-Cone and Potato Patch fries.

7) Grade School Spelling Bee- You would think these would be fun and happy memories, wouldn’t you? Instead, they were intense affairs, with driven 8-year-olds and anxious parents, and (in at least one case) enough trauma and angst over a misspelled word to last a lifetime.

8) A Yes Concert- Yes is a 70’s rock band that is perfectly enjoyable in concert – the first 5 or 6 times you go.

9) Confession – In my Catholic elementary school, they used to march us over to Church periodically to confess our sins. Despite being generally wracked with guilt all the time, I often couldn’t really think of anything I did that was all that wrong – I was a kid after all. I confessed to disobeying my parents and lying far more often than I actually committed those offenses, because I felt like I had to say SOMETHING when I went into the confessional booth. The last time they made us go to confession in eighth grade was the last time I went to confession.

10) Canonsburg Fourth of July Parade – Been there, done that – 14 times. Enough said.

5 comments:

  1. hahahahaha

    confession....i always just said i disobeyed my parents...i figured that covered anything...hated it...and as an adult...i think it is one of the irrational things that catholics do...if God sees and hears everything..and knows all your thoughts...then HE knew what you did and HE knew if you are sorry.....duh.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. AnonymousJuly 18, 2011

    Ah, confession. When I went to confession on Sat, I always took a shortcut over the railroad tracks. (A route that was forbidden when going to school.) When returning from the dreaded confessional, I always strolled s-l-o-w-l-y across the tracks, giving God a chance to strike me down while I was in a perfect state of grace.
    He never took advantage of the opportunity, of course,and I always thought it would then be unsporting of him to do it any other time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exactly, Jeanne! That's one of the questions I always had that the nuns couldn't or wouldn't answer.

    Josie, I never went to confession on Saturday - I seem to remember they took us for confession once a month on Fridays. I used to walk over the railroad tracks on the way to school all the time, although when I went to school via Milligan Avenue to meet my friend Mary it was just as quick to walk through the tunnel under the railroad tracks. I don't remember it being forbidden though - perhaps I was disobeying our parents without even realizing it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great blog, Sharon! Regarding your chuck-it number 2: I like the water, but I will never kayak the Yough again. I did so once, not knowing what it would be like. I hated the first rapid. I hated the second rapid. I hated the third rapid ... You get the idea. The group I was with said smugly that when I got to the end, I'd be dying to come back. And I have found that after the first time with other difficult things (roller coasters, downhill skiing, water skiing), I have enjoyed doing them again. But kayaking in whitewater? Ix-nay on the apids-ray.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, and I'm with you, Crosstees! Just hated those rapids...fell into the Double Hydraulics, and I'm just lucky someone was able to grab me and pull me back into the raft.

    ReplyDelete

On This Day My Child Was Born

  It  was February 13 th .  I was 8 ½ months pregnant and returning to work after my weekly gynecologist appointment. My doctor said he th...