Saturday, December 5, 2009

Christmas Tree, O (Artificial) Christmas Tree


My parents were never exactly cutting edge when it came to keeping up with the latest crazes on the market, but they were practically the first in line to buy an artificial Christmas tree.

I was seven the year my parents bought the tree that would adorn our living room every year thereafter. This tree was truly spectacular in its tackiness. It was pure white, it rotated, and had a built in music box that would play your choice of “Jingle Bells” or “Silent Night.” It came with its own rotating color wheel and all-red bulbs and a red art deco star. They couldn’t have been happier with this tree- no fuss, no muss, and no yearly expense!

In a year or two, I decided that this tree was an embarrassment to all that was good and pure and Christmas. I begged my parents to buy a real Christmas tree again. Never ones to indulge an overly emotional child, they wouldn’t hear of it. Real Christmas trees are messy and expensive, they explained. They shed their pine needles all over the place, and then you just had to figure out how to get rid of the darn thing. But real trees are also green, I protested, and this tree was white. The artificial trees only came in white or silver, my parents said. Snow was white, my mother pointed out helpfully. She advised me to just pretend the tree was covered in snow.

The first time I had a real Christmas tree again was when I was a freshman in college. One day my friend Andy walked into my dorm room with a perfect and very real little Christmas tree, about 2 ft. high, in his hand. He went out and cut it down for me just because he knew how much it would mean to me to have a real tree. I was thrilled with the tree and grateful to have a friend like Andy. I lovingly decorated the tree with homemade paper chains and snowflakes, and even took it home with me for Christmas break, where it shared a space in the living room with my parent’s beloved white tree.

As an adult, I finally had that real Christmas tree I always wanted. Decorating the tree was an important part of our holiday celebration. These trees were everything that my childhood tree was not. They were as big as the room would allow, chosen carefully, and very, very real. I made all kinds of ornaments for the tree – stuffed, painted, needlepoint- and bought unique single ornaments. I called it my hodgepodge tree. Nothing matched, but it was beautiful.

There was only one problem with these trees. They were real. They were messy. The pine needles shed everywhere. We pricked our fingers as we hung ornaments, and the branches couldn't always hold the heavier ornaments. You had to water the thing and the water would drip and sometimes leave a mark on the carpet. It was a significant expense added to all the other additional expenses of the season. Getting rid of it was always a hassle. In turns out that my parents were, as so often was the case, right after all.

So it seems that I had wanted an artificial tree all along- just a green one that looked like a real tree, and with all my wonderful mix of ornaments. But my family was as attached to their real, green trees as my parents had been to their white artificial one. So I was stuck with a real tree each year.

After my divorce, all of my holiday traditions were up in the air, ready to be redefined. When I remarried, it became even more complicated. My Jewish husband obviously doesn’t celebrate Christmas, but I still very much wanted a Christmas tree in my house. After the shock of the idea wore off, my husband agreed to let me have a tree. However, he had absolutely no-preconceived notion about what a tree should be or how it should be decorated. It was entirely up to me.

I can’t even convey my excitement the day that we went to Pool City to choose our tree. Now I have the perfect, beautiful green artificial tree of my dreams. My son still prefers a real tree but comes over ever year to help decorate, and we use the same ornaments that once adorned the real tree of his childhood. And my husband still can’t believe that he has a Christmas tree in the house.

10 comments:

  1. I remember your white tree with the revolving color wheel! It was set up in front of the mantle in the corner of your living room, next to the archway into your dining room. I, of the artifical green tree with pine-scented Glade air freshener household, thought your tree was way cool (or neat, or boss, or whatever term was era appropriate.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. your childhood tree sounds awesome !! just what i would like NOW ! we on the other hand, had what you wanted. we had a real tree every year...took turns watering it...and it was a big production in our house....sadly, now that my kids are grown, we dont even always put up a tree. i now have a very skinny pencil fake tree..i live in a small house and have the whole famly over for Christmas...there really is no room for a tree....................so sad.....i suppose we are just lame....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember that tree and Grandma's advice to pretend it "was covered in snow". It was...different. OK, weird...in a cool way. Hey, it was "Grandma's Christmas tree" and it didn't really matter that it was white with red ornaments - it had Christmas presents, didn't it? If so, all was right and good with the world! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember saying that I would never buy a fake Christmas tree. (My wife said she couldn't wait to get one.) Then one day, while living in the Pocono's, Kmart was having a huge after Christmas sale and I went to buy lights. Well it so happened while I was there, they had a bluelight special...All artificial Christmas trees were only $10 Dollars. What the he** I said and went and got one. That was 18 years ago and I still have that tree. One year my wife relented and we had a real tree, unfortunately, it came with it own spiders too. End of story...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, that is exactly where it was in front of the mantle by the archway!! :-)

    Jeanne, how wonderful that your family fills up the house so much that you don't have room for a big tree.

    Well, at least Grandma stayed consistent- she tried to fool generations of family members into pretending the tree was covered in snow.

    I'm a little jealous, Joe - a $10 K-Mart blue light special artificial Christmas tree?? Now, that's perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sharon:

    Yes, I remember that small christmas tree in Clarion, and there is a longer story to go along with it that I may never have told you.

    When I went into the woods that year to get trees for our dorm rooms there were two trees; one for you, and another for my dorm room in Ralston Hall (Ralston has since been torn-down, BTW).

    I hunted for hours to find the perfect trees. I lost track of time and was probably a mile or two into the woods when the sun went down. I realized at that point that I was lost and had no idea how to get back.

    There was about a foot of fresh snow on the ground and it was starting to get cold. I was inadequately dressed to be in the woods at night and had only a light coat, hat and gloves, but no boots. And if you have never been in the woods at night I can tell you from experience that it is so dark you can't even see you own footprints in the snow.

    The prospect of spending the night lost in the woods was not an attractive one to me. Finally a light went off... actually a red light on top of the water tower on campus. It was the highest point in town and visible for miles around.

    I set off in the direction of the water tower and after hiking for more than an hour came across a roadway that was about 4 miles from where I started. When I got back I was cold and wet... drenched from the knees down (you can't see puddles in the dark either, especially when covered in a foot of snow).

    Still, those years in Clarion are ones that I look back upon fondly. It was a time when friendships were made and traditions established that are with us to this day.

    Merry Christmas and Happy Hannukah

    -- Andy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Andy! I knew you went to some trouble but I never realized how much. As you know, I tried to stay out of the woods, even in daylight.

    I think of that tree, and you, every single year during the holiday. Good friends make good memories, indeed.

    Have a wonderful holiday season!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the stuff about xmas Sharon. (Your old Swiissvale neighbor Jack.) I often think about my spaceships at xmas time - especially the Jupiter from "Lost in Space" and "Fireball XL5." By now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Also, Merry Christmas and happy Hanaukah to you and your family. Glad that your father is doing better. By now, Jack

    ReplyDelete
  10. Merry Christmas, Jack and Debbie!

    ReplyDelete

On This Day My Child Was Born

  It  was February 13 th .  I was 8 ½ months pregnant and returning to work after my weekly gynecologist appointment. My doctor said he th...