Monday, May 30, 2011

I'll Just Sit Here in the Dark

Things really weren’t the same after the power surge messed with our computer system at work last week. We had no Internet service and no access to our server, where all our files live. We could look at our e-mail inbox, but could not send or receive e-mail. We were told it would probably be several days before the system was fixed. Suddenly, we were set adrift just outside the cyberspace in which we now operated.


To risk sounding like the old fogey that I actually am, I remembered the days before we all had computers and the Internet in our workplaces. We called people on the telephone, sent letters through the mail, looked things up in books, and typed things – like entire newsletters – on typewriters. We certainly didn’t have computers or phones that we could carry with us. Boy, did I hate those days.

My whole life changed when I got a word processor. It was basically a glorified typewriter encased in a monitor box, but it allowed me (miraculously!) to view, save, copy, edit and delete text. From there, it was an easy leap to the word processing programs on real computers, e-mail, and, for a research junkie like me, to the Internet.

When it was all abruptly taken away, I experienced something very close to a real withdrawal. Trying to work without my tools was exhausting. By the end of the second day, functioning was difficult, and I had a problem putting together intelligent sentences.

So, that evening, when we lost power at home on a calm, storm-less night, it was almost too much to bear. I’m even more attached to electricity than I am to the Internet. I thought, briefly, that Armageddon was coming after all, just a day or two late. It was reassuring when I called my son, who lives in the city, and heard that he had power. That meant that the entire Earth wasn’t affected. We were unable to reach my father, who lives near us, so at about 10 p.m. my husband and I headed out to check on him.

On our way there, from radio reports and the newspaper (via my son) we discovered that a transformer blew causing a Big Power Outage for something like 44,000 households, including ours, in two counties. After determining that Dad was just fine, and equipped with alternate light sources, we found our way to an Eat n Park that was open and had power.

The salt in the wound of all of this was that by this time, they were getting ready to announce the winner of Dancing with the Stars. Not only was I missing it, I wouldn’t be watching later as there was no electricity to power the DVR that was set to tape the show.

My sister called to find out what was going on. She told me that Chelsea Kane had already been eliminated on DWTS, so now it was between Kirstie Alley and our very own Hines Ward to win it all. She offered to stay on the phone to give me the play-by-play, but by that time, my comfort food – Grilled Stickies ala Mode- had arrived. We were the last customers left in the restaurant and they were starting to clean up, so I thought I should eat my food. A few minutes later, my son called with the good news. Hines Ward was bringing home the Mirror Ball Trophy! A little light in the darkness, to be sure.

The power was out at home for 12 hours, and the computer system at work was out, in full or in part, for four work days. Now that I am reconnected to my precious technology, the shaking has subsided and I am again breathing normally.

10 comments:

  1. AnonymousMay 30, 2011

    I remember the difficulty transitioning from a manual typewriter to an electric typewriter. And the even more traumatic changeover to a computer! I still own a fine manual typewriter just in case I have the overwhelming need to type something in a power failure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not me! I'm a terrible typist - I could only use typewriters with eraser tapes at the ready and it was a painful process to produce an error-free document. I'm still a bad typist, but it is easier to remedy using a computer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And ever since then my cursive handwriting has gone downhill. Remember elementary school where we had to practice making those letters over and over until they were perfect? Now there are times when I can't read my own handwriting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. AnonymousMay 30, 2011

    Ah, learning to write cursive in elementary school. We used to have to practice ovals over and over again. They had to be perfectly linked and lined up so there was no white paper showing through. I used to make one oval at each end of the line and then just pencil in the area in between. I was STUNNED that the teacher figured out they weren't a series of ovals. I thought I was SO clever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's actually the one down-side - I have very nice handwriting, which means next to nothing now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous, why didn't you just do the series of ovals to begin with? Wouldn't that have been easier?

    ReplyDelete
  7. AnonymousMay 30, 2011

    Because it seemed like a massive waste of time. I thought the goal was to have a solid line of penciled area. I didn't understand that practicing the ovals was the point of the exercise. Given my line of reasoning, anyone can see that my way was faster and more efficient!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. love your post...so true...we are all hooked...

    a note on the cursive...big tadoo in our house...you know they dont really teach it anymore in schools....had a big fight with teachers about it concerning my children...they only learned how to print....i was told they would never NEED to use cursive !!! when my last son wanted to open a bank account and had to sign a signature card, he didnt know how to 'write' his name....how BAD is that !?

    ReplyDelete
  10. So, cursive is a dying art, eh? That really is too bad!

    ReplyDelete

On This Day My Child Was Born

  It  was February 13 th .  I was 8 ½ months pregnant and returning to work after my weekly gynecologist appointment. My doctor said he th...