Sunday, March 23, 2014

Of Human Bonding

What was that  unfamiliar sensation I felt as I was biting into my daily oats-and-chocolate breakfast bar? Upon inspection, I found half of one of my dental bondings nestled nicely in the bar, camouflaged as one of the oats.

I didn't have time to waste mourning the loss of this bonding which served me well for 25 years.  I have a prominent smile (which some dentists insist upon calling an "overbite").  The sooner I got it fixed, the better. I carefully removed the half bonding from the breakfast bar.  The aptly-named. Dr. Goode (my wonderful dentist who made the bondings in the first place) would have been able to reattach it, but alas he retired long ago. After pausing just a moment to fondly remember Dr.Goode, I started Googling "Cosmetic Dentists" in my area and taking names.

What a hassle, I thought.  After all the trouble I go to every day to look average-at-best for the public. All the face-washing, moisturizing, make-up, hair styling, brushing and flossing and now this.  Now I had to take the time to get my tooth fixed.

Hey, wait a minute, maybe I could be like Daft Punk, pioneers in the electronic music field who were dressed in full robot gear complete with helmets when they took home Grammy Awards for Record and Album of the Year!  I had no idea that Daft Punk existed, but that's why I watch the Grammy's - to bring myself up to date on pop culture that I would otherwise miss.

My mind was racing after they accepted their first award.  Did they always dress in robot suits? Why? How did they sing in those helmets?  Did anyone know what they looked like?

My Facebook Friends filled me in.  The members of Daft Punk are reclusive, eschew their celebrity and wear helmets to maintain anonymity and to make a statement that they want their audience  to concentrate on their music, not on their appearance.  They rarely perform in public.

I was skeptical. Perhaps it was just an elaborate gimmick, designed to actually gain the attention that they claimed to avoid.  Besides, they looked ridiculous.

Now I thought maybe they were onto something.  I too would like to be appreciated for my contributions not my appearance.  I could just put on my helmet and go.  How liberating!

Then again people might judge me on my ridiculous costume, just as I did with Daft Punk.  They might just think me Daft.  It's just as well, I guess.  It would cost me a fortune to get helmets to match every outfit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

On This Day My Child Was Born

  It  was February 13 th .  I was 8 ½ months pregnant and returning to work after my weekly gynecologist appointment. My doctor said he th...