Monday, March 17, 2014

A Big Huge Plus-Sized Rant

May I start off by saying that I do appreciate that most stores are now stocking plus-sized clothing, because I still have bitter memories of the time that I tried to find a party dress for an office Christmas party back in the 90’s.  Long story short, I was forced to embark upon a quest throughout the tri-state area before finding a forward-thinking little dress shop in downtown Canonsburg that was plucky enough to carry some party dresses in a size 16.

It was a dark time in my life, and I couldn’t help but wonder if the fashion retailers all believed that no one would invite a larger woman to their party.

Although we’ve come a long way, baby, things are not perfect.  I have a few pet peeves that I really need to get off my chest.  In the spirit of helpful cooperation, I will also try to dispel some misperceptions some  stores seem to have about their more zaftig would-be customers.

1)      Plus-sized clothing segregation.

It is never very encouraging when I can’t find a plus-sized department, but it really sticks in my craw when I ask for directions only to find that the plus-sized clothes are located on a different floor than the rest of the women’s clothing in a corner through the housewares and the luggage just past the maternity clothes. 

The implication here is that they are ashamed to have larger customers (and pregnant customers for that matter) and they certainly don’t want them to mingle with the rest of the clientele.  We are not second-class citizens and I am pretty sure that we won’t scare other shoppers away.

2)       Token Plus-Sized Clothing Selections

More often than not, when I complete my pilgrimage to the plus-sized departments in these stores, my efforts result in finding about rack-and-a-half of the most basic clothing. 

Clearly they must think that because I am larger than Kate Moss that I don’t need or want “fancy” clothes, but nothing could be further from the truth.  I am just like other women.  I want a decent selection of fashionable clothes for different occasions from which to choose.

3)      Plus-sized pantyhose only available in Control Top.

I realize that in a sad turn of events in the fashion industry that pantyhose have fallen out of favor, but I still like to wear them.  Curiously though it seems that very often pantyhose in my size are only available in Control Top, because they are convinced that women of weight must only want pantyhose that will make them look smaller.

Let me tell you, and I cannot be too emphatic about this, I do not want my top to be controlled.  I want my top to be comfortable and I cannot overstate how much I enjoy breathing. While we are on the topic, I think the waists of most non-control top pantyhose are far too tight, so how about some waists that are cut larger and allow for some stretch?

Oh, I could go on, but you don't even want to get me started about the unavailability of shoes in wide widths.

Now I'm not unreasonable. I don't expect all stores to be as perfect as Dress Barn or Nordstrom.  Dress Barn offers equally stocked plus-sized and regular clothing side by side and offers the same styles in all sizes, and Nordstrom.... 

Oh, excuse me.  I must run.  My Personal Stylist from Nordstrom is on the phone now letting me know about an upcoming sale event, and offering her individualized assistance in helping me to find whatever my plus-sized heart desires.

3 comments:

  1. you go girl...I am right there with you every step of the way on this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha .. i hear ya ... my very favorite is the leggins that come in s-xl .. one size fits all !! seriously ... or the xl you buy on the net only to get them and realize that your one thigh wouldnt fit through the waist !! hahahah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Had to laugh!! So true, so true.

    ReplyDelete

On This Day My Child Was Born

  It  was February 13 th .  I was 8 ½ months pregnant and returning to work after my weekly gynecologist appointment. My doctor said he th...