Sunday, November 3, 2013

The Lost Weekend

I started off my long weekend on Friday with a routine colonoscopy and things went downhill from there.

My nose was running a little and I sneezed a few times on Friday but I thought little of it.  I am a victim of Seasonal Allergies so these things happen all the time, or at least seasonally.  However, when I woke up on Saturday it became clear that my Seasonal Allergies had burst into my head for an extended visit with a couple of weeks of luggage with them and I hadn’t even fixed up the guest room.

Frantically I dug up all my allergy medication, only to realize it almost all expired sometime LAST allergy season.  I was out anyway on Saturday morning and in a painful trip to the supermarket I stocked up on new allergy medication.  My nose wasn’t just running; it was galloping.  And every time I moved around and especially if I made the mistake of actually stepping outside I would have a severe sneezing jag that didn’t want to stop.  And people think I’m kidding when I say I’m allergic to the great outdoors.

So I came home and stayed home for the rest of the weekend.  I believe that my symptoms are purely allergy-related because they are all in my head and by that I mean that my literal symptoms are happening from the neck up, not that my symptoms are in any way merely psychological or a figment of my imagination.  The number of Kleenex boxes I’ve emptied attest to the fact that my symptoms are very, very real.

Whatever, the ever-running eyes and nose, the ridiculous sneezing jags, and the headaches are all making me a little foggy.  This makes it more difficult to write a witty and original blog this week, as I am incapable of original thought right now.  Despite the compromised state of my head I continue to live in a rich fantasy universe of my own making in which one of my delusions is that some people will really deeply miss “Rip Aches All Over” if it does not appear promptly on their Facebook News Feed or in their e-mail sometime on Monday. If this is not the case, please do not set me straight – I need my fantasies to cling to right now.

So here it is -my non-blog!  Let’s see…say, how about my assessment of the two movies I watched that just happened to be on television yesterday?

Limitless with Bradley Cooper and Robert DeNiro, a movie that I was unaware of, was a cleverly-directed movie with an interesting and unique premise.  Mr. Rip, who is healthy, enjoyed
 it too.  We both thought that the make-up people deserved kudos because Bradley Cooper looked pretty bad in the beginning of the movie and we know how good-looking he actually is.

I really couldn’t warm up to The Other Boleyn Girl though.  Natalie Portman played Ann Boleyn, Henry VIII’s ill-fated Queen, and Scarlet Johansson was her sister Mary.  I didn’t really like any of the people in the movie and might have turned it off if I had the energy to actually see what else was on.  

hope I’m not giving anything away when I tell you that the story didn’t end well.  The same will be true of this blog, because I just can’t come up with a snappy ending in my present state.

For more information on why Fall 2013 seasonal allergies are bad and getting worse, check out http://www.weather.com/health/fall-allergies-why-theyre-bad-getting-worse-and-what-you-can-do-20130917?pageno=7


2 comments:

  1. Supposedly there are 7 symptoms that can be compared to try to determine the difference between a cold and allergies. It's difficult to definitively tell the difference. My bottom line is I stay away from any dripping, sneezing, coughing human being. Hope you feel better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, this is definitely allergies - I can tell the difference when they're my symptoms. Personally, I add hand washing to avoiding people, but that really doesn't help in keeping the allergies away.

      Delete

On This Day My Child Was Born

  It  was February 13 th .  I was 8 ½ months pregnant and returning to work after my weekly gynecologist appointment. My doctor said he th...