Sunday, March 19, 2017

Not Ready for My Close Up Mr. DeMille

I was interviewed on the local news recently, to alert the public about something going on at work. 

This was not the first time I’d ever been on TV representing my organization.  I have been interviewed on Comcast Newsmakers a few times. 


On those occasions, there was a lot of preparation before my appearance.
  I knew for weeks ahead of time that I would be doing it.  I carefully chose what I wanted to talk about, what I planned to wear, and meticulously fixed my hair and makeup ahead of time.  Just in case I messed this up, Comcast provides a woman who fixes your makeup and hair before the taping.  You talk to the host to determine how the interview will be structured and are assured that if you screw it up they will just tape it again.

However, this time was different.  The reporter called me at 6:30 p.m. and after a brief conversation asked when and where she could interview me in person.  I had a choir rehearsal at 7 p.m. and so we decided that we would meet at the church about 6:50 p.m.  I had about 15 minutes to gather my stuff for rehearsal and make it to church on time for this interview. 

It is fair to say that Mr. Rip and I have never collectively moved so fast, and truly it was a blur.  I think I checked my hair and brushed my teeth before we left and I freshened my lipstick in the dark in the car on our way. Other than that, nothing.  No eye makeup, no freshened day-old make up, no real preparation.  Luckily I was still dressed in what I wore to work that day.

The interview happened, and that night Mr. Rip insisted that we watch the news to see me.  The story began and there it was – my face filling the screen.  I was horrified.  The camerawoman didn’t seem to be standing THAT close to me. Mr. Rip and I reacted simultaneously and very differently to this unanticipated close-up:

Me (thinking in dismay):  “Oh good grief!  My face fills up the whole screen.”





Mr. Rip (out loud in delighted excitement): “Look, honey!  Your face fills up the whole screen!

There are two lessons here:

First, everything is a matter of perspective.  I am sure that if that was Mr. Rip's face  up on the TV screen I would have been as excited as he was to see mine.

Secondly, when looking for a partner we should all be looking for and so fortunate to find that person who loves us so much that even after nearly 15 years they are excited and happy to see our face whether in person or close up on television.

All I know is that Mr. Rip puts a smile on this old face of mine every single day.

1 comment:

  1. Missed the interview Sharon, but sure you did just fine!

    ReplyDelete

On This Day My Child Was Born

  It  was February 13 th .  I was 8 ½ months pregnant and returning to work after my weekly gynecologist appointment. My doctor said he th...