Sunday, January 12, 2014

How the Other Half Shops (Finding Nordstrom)

For some reason, Mr. Rip and I found ourselves at the Ross Park Mall on Saturday.  Hypothetically, it could have been because we wanted to get out of the house to escape the deafening racket made by the dehumidifiers that were drying out our living room and basement after the pipe burst flooding both rooms on Thursday, but whatever, we were there and in no hurry to leave.

The Ross Park Mall used to be a regular run-of-the-mill mall, a perfectly good place for people from all walks of life to shop.  It had Lane Bryant and Easy Spirit stores for me, and a cool little housewares shop for Mr. Rip.  

Then the Ross Park Mall suddenly went "upscale" on us, mostly because Nordstrom moved in.  Some of the smaller stores that didn't fit into the new neighborhood moved (Lane Bryant) or just closed their stores not to reopen anywhere in the region (Easy Spirit).  While I didn't analyze it too deeply, I think subconsciously I blamed Nordstrom for ruining...er, I mean transforming...our local mall into someplace I couldn't afford to shop.

I had never been inside a Nordstrom store, but their reputation intimidated me.  I mean I'm more likely to shop at Target than Macy's, so how out-of-my-league was Nordstrom going to be?
 
It was out of love that I finally dared to enter Nordstrom. I want to look presentable at the wedding of my son and his lovely fiancee later this year, and I kept looking at a dress that the store carried online that I thought might be perfect for me.

Finally, Mr. Rip suggested, in his infinite wisdom, that if I really loved the look of the dress so much that I should order it.  I could always send it back if it didn't work.  Well, I thought if we were going to be killing time...er, I mean, spending some quality time... at the Ross Park Mall anyway that I might just stop at Nordstrom to see if they had it in stock.  

So, just like that, without another thought, I bravely entered the majestic grandness of a department store that is Nordstrom.  Wow, it was nice in there, with an actual stunning decor and everything, and the merchandise all beautifully spaced out.  This department store had ambience. I had never seen anything quite like it.  I felt underdressed.

As I was taking it all in, I was approached by what I thought was a saleslady, greeting me as though I was a long-lost friend she hadn't seen in awhile.  I explained that I was looking for formal wear in plus sizes, and she was delighted to direct me to the Encore section.  What a genteel name for the plus size section!

Jan was waiting to assist me when I reached Encore.  When Jan handed me her card, I saw that she was my Personal Stylist!  I don't know if you will be surprised to hear this, but I have never had a Personal Stylist before.  Of course I never asked but I don't think they have them at Target- hell they barely have plus sizes (and the few offerings they do have are hidden in the corner just past the maternity clothes).  I suppressed the sudden urge to sing  - If they could see me now, that little dusty group, traipsin' round this million dollar chicken coup...if my friends could see me now!

Jan was very sorry to tell me that they did not have the dress in question on the floor but was more than happy to order it for me.  It will come to my house.  She helped me to select the best color of those available in my size.  She offered her assistance in finding the right accessories to go with my dress and she will be calling me when Nordstrom has special offers, as IF I could afford to shop there on a regular basis (but I didn't want to burst her bubble).

Boy, I could get used to this kind of stellar shopping experience. Shopping at Nordstrom is definitely going on my list of things I'll be doing when I win the lottery.  

1 comment:

  1. I lived in Seattle back in the days when Nordstrom was emerging in a big way (Nordstrom is FROM Seattle). I love the store although I shop more at Target as well. Nordstrom has brilliant customer service, really good quality clothing and shoes, and two semi-annual sales in which you can buy your entire wardrobe for the year and know that you'll be well dressed. They sort of put other clothing stores in perspective..... that being said, I need to get down to Marshall's to find a pair of pants..... ;-) Janet Reed

    ReplyDelete

On This Day My Child Was Born

  It  was February 13 th .  I was 8 ½ months pregnant and returning to work after my weekly gynecologist appointment. My doctor said he th...