Sunday, January 13, 2013

All About Cosette

I went to see the much hyped and hotly anticipated movie adaptation of the musical Les Miserables last weekend.

I really didn't know what to expect.  Forget the critics.  My Facebook Friends (many of whom are absolute aficionados of the stage musical)  were wildly divided in their reviews.  It seemed that they either really loved it or really loathed it, and Russell Crowe had more than his fair share of haters, who hated his portrayal and his singing in the role of Javert.

I'm funny when it comes to beloved stage musicals adapted for the big screen.  I think the actors who are cast should be not just be passable singers; they should be exceptional legitimate singers.  I know, I know, I want the moon.  When I heard that the director had made the choice to have the actors sing live during the shoot, I must say I was very, very skeptical.

Well, I loved everything about it and everyone in it, with the sole exception of Sasha Baron Cohen, who played the shady innkeeper Thenardier.  I thought his interpretation of the character was all wrong, and he was not even passable as a singer.  I was actually very impressed with Russell Crowe's singing and I'm pretty picky when it comes to vocalists.

But let's talk about the story for a minute shall we?  If perchance you have never read the book, seen the musical on stage, or caught the movie, what are you waiting for?  Get yourself to the local cineplex right now - the movie really is pretty fabulous.  However, don't read the rest of this blog if you don't want to know the story.

After watching the movie, it suddenly dawned on me that the story is really all about saving and protecting Cosette.

It all starts with her mother Fantine, whose natural maternal instinct compelled her to sacrifice her job, her hair, her teeth, her body and ultimately her life for her daughter.  Fantine won't  die until Jean Valjean (our protagonist) promises her that he will take care of Cosette.

Valjean is a former convict who was imprisoned for 19 years for first stealing a loaf of bread then for trying to escape.  In order to provide for Cosette as he promised he breaks parole and assumes a new identity.  Despite being pursued by Javert, every decision for the rest of his life is informed and directed by what Cosette needs and deserves.

Marius, a young student and soldier, sees Cosette in the garden one day and falls immediately in love with her. Back on the streets, he  enlists the aid of Eponine the girl who is desperately in love with him (which he doesn't seem to notice) to get a message to Cosette.  Eponine then joins him in battle where she is shot and killed.

Valjean now is an old man.  He is able to die and rest in peace when Marius assures him that he will take care of his precious Cosette.

So, you see, Les Mis is really all about Cosette.  The French Revolution is just a side note.  Cosette lives in the lap of luxury with Marius in the castle that might as well be in the cloud she sang about as a neglected little child, singing pretty songs while everyone else is off living and dying for her.




1 comment:

  1. Sorta into musicals since my parents were all about that when I was a kid; even danced and sang in a few (never got asked to play guitar in one ... hmmm).

    You're right though, it's all about Cosette. And man, that song were Fantine sings about "tell Cosette I love her and I'll see her when I wake" and you wanna just cut your wrists and bleed out along with her. Sheesh!

    I feel like the thing with them when they make them into movies is to NOT expect the movie to be a faithful reproduction, because you already know it's not gonna happen. Didn't happen like that with Phantom and I enjoyed the movie when I accepted that Gerard Butler wasn't gonna sing like Michael Crawford.

    Anyway, thanx for sharing Sharon. Looking forward to seeing it.

    ~Brian G.

    ReplyDelete

On This Day My Child Was Born

  It  was February 13 th .  I was 8 ½ months pregnant and returning to work after my weekly gynecologist appointment. My doctor said he th...