Sunday, May 6, 2012

What to Wear to Work


There it was – right below the time and place on the invitation for the work-related anniversary reception.  “Business Cocktail Attire Preferred.”

What in the world was that?  These two types of attire are very different…or so I thought.  In my mind, I think of “business attire” as a business suit or, you know, something with a blazer.  A cocktail dress is that really fancy dress that isn’t quite an evening gown that you buy for the fundraiser, and then it sits in your closet for years because you have nowhere else to wear it.  I would have thought that these two modes of dress couldn't have been further apart on the fashion spectrum. Oh, did this mean that I had missed the memo about the new business fashion trend again?  I just can’t keep up sometimes.

First there was the whole “business casual” thing.  That seemed like an oxymoron to me, too, when I first heard it.  Oh, it was all so simple once.  Business was business and casual was casual.  Then the line blurred.  “They” explained it to me.  Basically, it meant dressing somewhere between the business suit and the ratty blue jeans with your Led Zeppelin t-shirt.

Once I wrapped my head around it though, it was okay.  It meant that we could be more comfortable while we worked without necessarily looking like we were camping or painting the house. That isn’t a bad thing.
 
For me, it all comes down to the shoes.  Business casual dress at work means that I can dress to accommodate wearing sensible shoes all the time.  With age comes wisdom and arthritic knees, and the realization that looks are in the end secondary to function.  This means that the ultimate goal of wearing shoes is the ability to walk- with as few complications as possible.  Trust me, any podiatrist or arthritis doctor will basically recommend that you wear Level Three Fitness Sneakers all the time.

Level Three Fitness Sneakers look stupid with a dress, but if they’re black, you can pretty much get away with them with a nice pair of slacks, which is what I now wear most of the time.  I still like to wear skirts and dresses on occasion, and I have some acceptable semi-sensible-but-not-exactly beautiful-or-cutting-edge shoes for those occasions.  To risk dating myself, I have to say that I like to wear pantyhose with a skirt, even though it seems that they have fallen out of fashion favor, and are suddenly harder to find.

Now, when in doubt, I still like to err on the side of “business” over casual, and I think that dressing “up” a little in certain business settings can only gain you some respect.  My philosophy is that if you wear a nice blazer over almost anything, it looks more professional.

I thought I had it all figured out, and now they were throwing the “business cocktail attire” concept at me.  Did they mean you could wear either business OR cocktail attire?  Were they looking for some hybrid between business and cocktail attire?  If that were the case, what exactly would that look like?  

After rifling through my closet several times and trying on more than a few outfits, I settled on a dress with matching jacket that was not a business suit although I wore it on the job all the time.  It seemed to do the trick despite the sensible shoes.

6 comments:

  1. Barbara LefebvreMay 07, 2012

    I really love reading your blog Sharon. It is one of those things that I stop what I was doing and go to directly whenever I see a new post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think it just means dressy, but not sexy....who the heck knows...we just had a similar discussion....a friend went to a function that required 'formal' attire. my def is long gown, tuxedo...i couldnt have been more wrong...basically it just meant dress up??? too crazy....and i have to say..sorry i totally disagree about the panty hose...i for one am THRILLED that they are no longer required, even when one is 'dressed' up...i never never never wear them and havent long before it was fashionable.....:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Barbara!!! That is about the best compliment a blog writer can get. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeanne, I totally understand about the pantyhose, but you are a thin person. Trust me, for those of us who are a little more "zaftig" pantyhose are a blessing from Heaven, IF they fit correctly. I could write a whole blog on pantyhose....

    ReplyDelete
  5. AnonymousMay 07, 2012

    I wouldn't have a clue as to what constituted "business cocktail" attire. Somebody once asked if we had a dress code at work. We all looked at each other and decided that if what we were wearing got us from our respective houses to work without making us hypothermic or getting us arrested, then we were fine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, we are similarly relaxed in my workplace as we generally consider anything from our vast warddrobes of t-shirts with the logo of the company, company programs or company events to be suitable work wear. However, I like to dress respectably enough to allow for the occasional surprise visitor.

    ReplyDelete

On This Day My Child Was Born

  It  was February 13 th .  I was 8 ½ months pregnant and returning to work after my weekly gynecologist appointment. My doctor said he th...