Sunday, November 13, 2011

Not in Your Size

My husband treated me to lunch at Habitat the other day, the new trendy restaurant in the Fairmont Hotel in Pittsburgh. The food was exceptionally good, but the décor was just as interesting and intriguing, and as special as the company. As a bonus, Larrimor’s (the upscale clothing store) was having a promotion, and we each got a $50 gift certificate to the store.


I was skeptical about finding anything at Larrimor’s. I’ve never been in the store, and not just because it is upscale (code for “ridiculously expensive”). I am actually willing to shop the sale rack at the upscale places, but I presumed that they would not carry plus sizes. However, I had made that same assumption about Saks, where I found my most beautiful burgundy wedding dress for a fraction of the original price, so I tagged along after my husband to Larrimor’s.

It was clear when we walked in that the store stocked primarily men's clothing, with just a very small women's department. I thought I would just cut to the chase with the salesperson who asked if she could help me. I asked if they carried plus sizes. She got that pained, disapproving look that the elite sometimes exhibit when encountering the lower classes. “Well, no, we don’t,” she said, “We do have some things that are one-size-fits-all. It IS a boutique, after all. You know how that goes.”

Actually, I don’t know that much about boutiques because they don’t usually carry plus sizes. I decided to look around at handbags and scarves and things, but I quickly found out that not only don’t Larrimor’s wares come in my size they don’t come in my style either.

The salesperson continued to try to assist and engage me, probably in a sincere effort to provide good, personalized customer service.  Either that, or she felt badly because they didn’t carry my size.  Maybe she just didn’t want to lose a sale. “So you’re just visiting here?” she asked brightly. I explained proudly that I was Pittsburgh born and raised and had lived here all my life. “And you’ve never been here before?” she asked accusingly. I reminded her that they didn’t carry plus sizes. I was here now and there was nothing for me to buy.

I decided to go where I was welcome. Avenue, my favorite little downtown plus-size women’s clothing store, was having a huge sale. The merchandise there is inexpensive at full price, but not cheaply made. Not only do they carry my size, they carry clothes that are actually cut for people my size. The salespeople occasionally ask me if I’m finding everything alright, and are always helpful if I should ask for their help, but otherwise leave me alone to browse. Sometimes the clearance items are practically free.

An article in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette today which was talking about the dwindling of the women’s fashion retail choices in downtown Pittsburgh with the downsizing of Macy’s and the closing of the Sak’s store stated that “…Larrimor’s is thinking about expanding its women’s fashion section…” (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11317/1189300-28-0.stm#ixzz1ddVLSNAU ).

Hey, what a great idea! Here's a crazy thought - maybe they could expand their customer base even further by expanding their thinking as well, and stocking some clothing for the more expansive women out there.

5 comments:

  1. If we had the courage (and the warm temperatures) to accept the words of Anne Tyler..."A soft and abundant woman is best viewed
    naked"...then we could abandon the hopeless and demoralizing task of clothes shopping!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, interesting viewpoint there, but I LOVE clothes shopping!!! It is neither hopeless nor demoralizing in shops that carry my size, whatever their prices. Even for the more "difficult" wardrobe pieces (this is another way of saying that jeans really aren't manufactured to fit bodies like mine), there is the thrill of the quest, and the triumph when I finally, against all odds, find a pair that fits me. Some people climb Mount Everest; I buy jeans. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done, Cheri Cheraul! (I still don't know how to spell that)

    Go get those elitist only-the-small-size-need-apply merchants!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The beauty of my childhood nickname is that you can spell any way you damn well please!!

    ReplyDelete

On This Day My Child Was Born

  It  was February 13 th .  I was 8 ½ months pregnant and returning to work after my weekly gynecologist appointment. My doctor said he th...