Sunday, November 6, 2011

Hey, Make Me Over

Last week I stumbled upon an updated version of The Look for Less on the Style Network. It pitted a Celebrity Stylist against a Budget Fashionista (whatever THAT is) in finding two stylish outfits for a woman. They had $250 and two days to complete the challenge, and they could each choose two pieces from her existing wardrobe with which to work.


The woman they were helping was a motivational speaker who had been unemployed for a year and a half, and had really hit bottom in terms of her self-esteem, which was also having an adverse effect on her relationship with her boyfriend. She had, in effect, lost her motivation and her mojo. She wanted a professional look to jump start her career, and a date look to rekindle things with her boyfriend.

So, I’m thinking, “Wow! $250 AND two pieces from her closet? Where’s the challenge in that?” The Celebrity Stylist is just flabbergasted at the budget (as if he didn’t know what it would be until this moment), and says that $250 wouldn’t even buy an accessory for one of his celebrities. The Budget Fashionista is pretty smug about her ability to show the Stylist what’s what on how to shop on a budget.

The Stylist puts together a very smart business look using an out-of-date blazer with an attached pocket square that the woman already owns. He updates this blazer primarily by removing the pocket square, and they all applaud his genius in coming up with this idea. The Fashionista, the so-called expert on budget shopping, chooses an ankle-length, strapless floral dress with a mismatched green scarf thrown over it which looked more like it belonged at Woodstock than in a workplace, for her business look. Clearly, she has no concept of how people dress when their occupation involves giving inspiring and instructive speeches to other professionals. Both of them chose dressy short-shorts for her date look, which I found curious. Maybe that is a fad in Southern California. Not surprisingly, the woman chose the Stylist’s collection, I’m guessing based upon the business look alone.

Well, I just couldn’t believe it. “Do you know what I could have done with $250?” I rhetorically asked my husband. Without hesitation, he responded “You could have created a whole collection.”

Actually, that’s about right. It would be safe to say that I usually do not spend more than $250 on clothes (not counting shoes) in most YEARS. Yes, that’s right – I love a good bargain. No, I LIVE for a good bargain, rarely paying full price for anything.

Here’s what I would have done for that motivational speaker. I would have put her in a work outfit very much like the one the Stylist put together – a blazer, structured blouse or top and dressy slacks or skirt. For the date, I would have found a one-piece figure flattering dress in a solid print, set off with some nice accessories. And I probably could have done it all at Dress Barn, in half a day, with money left over.

Does that make ME a Budget Fashionista? Can I be on the show?

8 comments:

  1. I don't know what that makes you but I know I NEED YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can HAVE me, Anonymous! Buy me lunch, and I'll go shopping with you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm right there with you..i watch 'what not to wear' and $5,000 wow..i could have enough clothes for my whole life with $5,000..haha..what's wrong with these people ??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I would love to go on "What Not to Wear" but the problem would be that Stacy and Clinton would never get me out of my sensible Easy Spirit flat shoes. That, and the fact that I am very attached to some of the clothes I already own.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't grasp this concept. $250? I'd pay my gas bill, buy a case of beer and a chorus effect for my guitar and still wear jeans.

    ~Brian G.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, Brian, YOU'RE a rock star... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yup, it would be me and $50 and Thriftique, and $200 in the bank. Someone recently said to me, "Nice! Is that L.L. Bean?" (I had on a crisp plaid blouse under a crimson sweater.) "I don't remember," I said honestly. Translation: I don't remember seeing the brand-name tag when I stuffed the blouse into my bag on $10-a-bag day at Thriftique!

    Patty

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, Patty, you're my budget shopping hero!! LOL

    ReplyDelete

On This Day My Child Was Born

  It  was February 13 th .  I was 8 ½ months pregnant and returning to work after my weekly gynecologist appointment. My doctor said he th...