Saturday, February 28, 2015

What Color is This Sweater?


What color is this sweater I'm wearing in the picture above?  I'll give you  a moment to look at it and think it over.

Did you guess some shade of blue, or aqua, or teal?  Wrong!

In reality, in person, the sweater in the picture above is very, very purple.  This is the same sweater:

OMG!  This very purple sweater just LOOKS blue in the first picture.

Why? I have absolutely no idea.  Both pictures were taken with my I-Pad Mini.  Maybe it was the lighting in the restaurant, maybe it looked blue against the backdrop of the booth.  Maybe there is some blue in the purple.  I don't see colors in other colors, but Mr. Rip does.  He is always saying things like "That top goes with those pants because there's a lot of brown in that red."

When I first saw the photo, I said to Mr. Rip, "Hey, my purple sweater looks blue in this picture."

"It sure does," Mr. Rip replied.

We didn't give it another thought, and resumed living our lives.

Then along came the Great Dress Debate. In case you somehow missed it, someone posted a picture of a dress on Tumblr with the caption "What color is this dress?"  Some people thought the dress was black and blue while others thought it was gold and white.  The debate raged across the nation. Houses were divided.

The truth?  Well, there is a very good scientific photographic explanation for it all. I am neither scientist nor photographer, but let me see if I can explain it to you in everyday language.  The dress was actually dark blue and black.  If the dress was photographed with the colors reversed it was now white and gold.  The picture posted on the internet was in an exposure that made it appear between the two extremes.  So some people saw the black and blue, and some saw the gold and white.  It was all in the eye of the beholder.

Simple, right?  Well, unless you're me.  My mind's quirky eye saw the dress as being blue and BROWN.  Perhaps I saw what actually was - in that exposure was the trim of the dress  somewhere between black and gold? Who's to say that isn't brown?  Perhaps I just have a totally unique perspective.  I'm sure that the Today show will be calling for their interview soon.

4 comments:

  1. It is really hard to get the ability to comment on your blog... Hopefully this will work this time!

    I have 3 thoughts about this addition of your blog... First, this whole "What color is this dress" thing... As a color vision deficient person: Welcome to my world! Second, the Today Show is Dead! Hope that GMA calls! And Third, I bet this whole, dress/color thing really causes you to miss your favorite, long gone retail store: Dress Barn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, GMA would also be fine, too....

      Dress Barn is alive and well, Hugh! There is one in Cranberry (about 5 miles from my house), one in Robinson Town Centre, and outlet stores in Tanger and Grove City Outlets. Which reminds me - I have some coupons buring a hole in my pocket.

      Delete
  2. Oh my! I am so happy to hear about Dress Barn! I know how much you love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What sweater? I don't see any sweater!

    ReplyDelete

On This Day My Child Was Born

  It  was February 13 th .  I was 8 ½ months pregnant and returning to work after my weekly gynecologist appointment. My doctor said he th...