Sunday, December 22, 2013

Twas the Week Before Christmas (A Shopper's Tale)

Twas the week before Christmas, and all along McKnight Road
All the shoppers were scurrying, carrying many a load
The cars were lined up, crawling one by one
With drivers hoping all the shopping soon would be done

We were nestled all snug in our bed
With tablets and i-pads resting near our heads
Mr. Rip in his Scrooge hat and I in my cap
Had just settled in for a long winter's nap

When into my brain there arose such a clatter
I sprang from my bed to take care of the matter
Away to Windows I flew in a flash
Tore open the app and got ready my cash

The moon on the glow of the computer screen
Gave a luster to that one last present I'd seen
But what my weary eyes saw gave me fear
The perfect gift was on back order until early next year!

For a little old lady not so lively or quick
I knew in a moment I had one more present to pick
More rapid than eagles I jumped in my car,
I whistled and shouted and hit stores near and far

Now Target! Now Macy's! Now Barnes and Noble!
On Brookstone!  On Penny's! On stores that are global!
To the top of the county! To Ross Park Mall!
Now dash away! dash away! dash away all!

As leaves that before the wild hurricane fly
When I meet with an obstacle I mount to the sky
So from store to kiosk to strip mall I flew
And found the right gift and some stocking stuffers too!

Then in a twinkling I was back at my house
Prancing and dancing with my loving spouse
I drew in my head, and turned around
And looked at the chimney, where my presents were bound

It was bedecked by a Christmas tree and poinsettia to boot
and a fake fireplace, so no ashes or soot
Bundles of gifts came through the mail to unpack
Some still to be wrapped, others ready to stack

Our eyes how they twinkled, we were so merry
Our cheeks were like roses, we got a little teary
Our droll little mouths drew up like bows
When all we needed were groceries with three days to go

So we stumped off to Giant Eagle, with smiles full of teeth
Where we found all sorts of fish ready for a Christmas Eve feast
Shrimp and smelts and anchovies would soon fill our bellies
And pasta and ham and desserts sweet like jellies

We'd be chubby and plump, right jolly old elves
And we laughed when we thought of it, in spite of ourselves
With a wink of my eye and a twist of my head
Soon gave me to know I had no more shopping to dread

I talked non-stop, but went straight to my work
And filled all the stockings; then turned with a jerk
Feeling all happy right down to my toes
I placed by the chimney all the gifts that I chose

I sprang to my couch, waiting for the tea kettle to whistle
And away my shopping list flew like the down of a thistle
But to you I exclaim as I wait for my family to alight
Happy Christmas to all, and to all a good night!


2 comments:

  1. happy holidays .... great post !

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have been busy! Whew! Happy holidays to you too!

    ReplyDelete

On This Day My Child Was Born

  It  was February 13 th .  I was 8 ½ months pregnant and returning to work after my weekly gynecologist appointment. My doctor said he th...