Sunday, April 7, 2013

There Were Never Such Devoted Sisters


 I smile because you're my sister.  I laugh because there's nothing you can do about it. -- Unknown

"She's more than just a spare kidney to me.  She's my sister and I love her."

This gem of a sisterly sentiment comes to us courtesy of the identical twin sister of the bride-to-be  on  a recent Say Yes to the Dress Atlanta episode.

I have three sisters myself. I just had to share this with them on Facebook.

Unlike those twins on Say Yes to the Dress we are anything but identical.  We are like snowflakes - we might look alike (and walk alike and talk alike), but our personalities really are very different from one another.

Despite their differences, my sisters do agree on one thing.  While they all seem to like it when they "appear" in my blog, none of them wants to be identified by name.  So if it seems that I talk a lot about "my sister" that's partially because there are so many of them.

So, without naming names, here are their responses  to that Facebook post:

I must say that I never ever thought of you as a spare kidney or any other body part.

Well, that was good to know.  I assured her that I felt the same way.

This seems odd to be a random comment.  Is there more to this? Did the sister donate a kidney to her twin?

No, this came out of absolutely nowhere.  The twin was also trying on dresses because they thought that way they could see how twice as many dresses looked (because they were identical).  That turned out to be weird, so then the bride tried on her own dresses.

Actually, there's no guarantee that we could be organ donors for each other since none of us are identical twins.

Yes, I realized that but I just thought that it was a funny way to think about your sister even if you were identical twins.  They both laughed when she said it, so I figured it was a family joke.

Then, one of my oldest and dearest friends joined in on the conversation:

I love eavesdropping on this conversation among you sisters. :-)

I told her she wasn't eavesdropping because it was a public conversation and then one of my sisters chimed in:

Besides isn't she a honorary Ciraulo sister, anyway?

This is an honor to which few aspire and even fewer are chosen, but it was true, and my friend was pleased.

And I realized that I have a handful of friends who are actually like sisters to me -that's how close we are.  When you think about it, that is a real compliment to my actual sisters.  I like my sisters so much that I was happy to welcome more "sisters" into my life.

So, are you sitting there thinking, "I want to be in the sisterhood too! How can I be an Honorary Ciraulo Sister?"  Well, here's your chance!  Just play "Guess the Sister."  It's easy!

1)  First, "like" the "Rip Aches All Over" Facebook page, or if you are not on Facebook, follow the blog.  If you already "like" or "follow" Rip, then go onto Step 2.

2)  Send me a PRIVATE message either on Facebook or in an e-mail and identify which sister contributed each of the comments described in this blog.  If you don't know my sisters, I will give you each sister's occupation and the state they live in. If you guess all three correctly, you're in.

Actual Ciraulo Sisters are ineligible to participate - you already know who you are.

2 comments:

  1. I think I'll pass on the sister thing, but I do like the song. "God help the mister that comes between me and my sister, and God help the sister, that comes between me and my man!" Let me know when you have honorary brother auditions!

    Frank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, okay, but since it's an honorary position, gender does not matter! Anyone can be an Honorary Ciraulo Sister; however, we can also add a Ciraulo Brothers Auxilary if you like. We don't have any brothers (one of the reasons there's so many sisters!). In any case, if you want to play along, e-mail me.

      Delete

On This Day My Child Was Born

  It  was February 13 th .  I was 8 ½ months pregnant and returning to work after my weekly gynecologist appointment. My doctor said he th...