Monday, February 25, 2013

Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow


I'd like to say that I watched the Grammy's for the first time since sometime in the 1990's because Pittsburgh native Wiz Kahlifa was nominated but that would be a lie.  He's just the kind of artist that drove me away from the broadcast in the first place.

Actually, Whitney Houston, a performer who was worth watching a Grammy award show to see, made me do it.  A documentary about last  year's show that took place right after her untimely death featured a crazy good performance with Bruce  Springsteen and Paul McCartney.

So, I'm clearly out of touch with today's music, but I knew that going in.  I don't know anything about fashion either, as I am constantly reminded when I watch Project Runway and Fashion Police and I disagree wildly with the "professionals," although I still don't know why I should take fashion advice from someone with lilac-colored hair.

Nonetheless, I was taken aback when I saw Adele's dress at the Grammy's, which was a variation of a dress that walked the runway in Valentino's 2013 Spring Couture collection. I heard it compared to curtains, a couch, a carpet and an ottoman.  Adele is a beautiful 24-year-old and a talented singer.  She shouldn't be dressing like an old lady from the early 60's.

As it is with fine art, I may not be an expert on fashion, but I know what I like.  I have no idea what Valentino was thinking when he designed that dress, but I know that what you see on the runway isn't necessarily what will work for everyone.  Adele needs to learn that.  I AM an old lady and I wouldn't be caught dead wearing that dress. 

Hey, maybe I could help Adele to find a more youthful figure flattering style! Certainly I wouldn't do worse than any stylist she is currently using, and she could probably have me at a fraction of what she's currently paying.

Once in awhile though I do see something I want on one of the stars at an Awards show.  I appreciate that Anne Hathaway's short hair is the result of her sacrificial method acting for her role of Fantine in the big screen adaptation of Les Miserables, and not strictly a fashion choice. It certainly was pretty severe a look in the movie.

However when Anne showed up at Golden Globes her hair was looking VERY cute.  I was enchanted by her hair and couldn't stop looking at it.  I was already wearing my hair short and I couldn't see why I couldn't have that haircut too.  So, like some crazy middle-aged teenager I went to my next hair appointment with a picture of Anne Hathaway on my I-Pad Mini and told my very talented hairdresser Cara that that's what I wanted.  I assured her that I realized that I would not actually look like Anne Hathaway, and that I just wanted to look like me with Anne Hathaway's hair.

So Anne just won an Academy Award for her role of Fantine, and I have this cute new haircut.  I'd say her sacrifice was worth it.

4 comments:

  1. Picture!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, I will get that together, but unless you see me all the time you might not be able to see the difference. It's actually a little longer on the top and shorter on the sides than it has been.

      Delete
  2. Well spoken, Sharon. I want George Clooney's hair. Oh ... hold on ...

    ~Brian G.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Brian! I wanted to "like" this but we're not on Facebook!

      Delete

On This Day My Child Was Born

  It  was February 13 th .  I was 8 ½ months pregnant and returning to work after my weekly gynecologist appointment. My doctor said he th...