Monday, September 17, 2012

Tea and Jewelry and Makeup and Food Storage


I went to my very first Tupperware party when I was in my 20’s.  I liked the stuff, and the next thing you know I was hosting a party where I could earn some Tupperware of my own.

And that’s how that ball of wax got rolling.  Over the following decade I lost count of the number of Tupperware parties I attended, and because I was at the age when I still couldn’t say no, I hosted two parties at home, in addition to being one of lots of hostesses at a Tupperware Bingo at the Houston (PA) Volunteer Fire Hall.  Yes, that really happened.  I can’t make this stuff up, folks.

I regret none of it, because I love my Tupperware.  I could go on and on about the products.  The cake and pie “takers”, and the space saving pitchers that fit in the refrigerator door, the divided vegetable tray, and the biggest-mixing-bowl-in-the-world.  I also have two large plastic, water-and-air-proof Tupperware photo boxes, which I bought back in the olden days before we started storing our photos on the computer.

But hands-down the best Tupperware item I own is my little “storganizer,” a sleek, unassuming tri-layer plastic brown box with compartments that hold little items like pens, and paper clips.  This little box has moved with me four times to two different counties, and continues to sit faithfully next to me on the end table in the living room.

For many years no one invited me to Tupperware or any other kind of home demonstration parties.  I don’t know why.  Was it because I now answered invitations with, “I would love to come, and will definitely buy something, but really, I don’t want to have a party.”?

The drought ended with an invitation to a Silpada party a few months ago.  I had received some Silpada jewelry as a gift from my husband and it was really beautiful, so I was happy to attend the party, check out the inventory, and add to my collection.

Then a friend invited me to a Premier Designs jewelry party.   Their jewelry was fun and funky, and while I only bought one piece at the party, in a moment of whimsy I decided it might be fun to have a party myself to buy a few more pieces, and get a few dollars off.  I decided that I would make it a tea party with little finger sandwiches and scones and iced tea, and call it “Tea and Jewelry.” Just like it is with my blog, once I had the title, I was good to go.

The representative told me that the goal would be to have 10 people at the party.  That would be about right, I thought, because it had my experience way back when that I would invite every lady I ever knew to these parties, and no matter what the total number was, 10 people would show up.  This time was no exception.  I had exactly 10 people at my party, and my friend who had the party I attended also made a purchase although she could not attend in person.

So, as promised, we had tea, and jewelry, and a delightful visit.  We learned things about Premier Designs, and jewelry in general.  For instance, did you know that if you wear an extra-long necklace it instantly makes you look taller AND 15 pounds thinner?  I wish I would have known that before I embarked on my diet more than a year ago.  That 15-pound head start would have really been helpful.  As a bonus I earned more than $500 (!) in free jewelry.  I made sure my shopping spree (that resulted in a whole wardrobe of new jewelry) included at least one extra-long necklace.

You know that old saying about when it rains, it pours?  I was invited to a Mary Kay party.  Now I am ever interested in covering flaws and minimizing the ravages of age on the appearance of my face, so I attended eagerly.   At one point, my friend Emily (who was the Mary Kay rep) asked the crowd, “What is your biggest complaint about your eyelashes, ladies?” 

“They’re too short and stubby,” I replied without hesitation.  That was the right answer.  I haven’t yet received my Mary Kay Eyelash Serum that I ordered to actually make my eyelashes grow, so I’ll have to report back to you on that, but I can give a wholehearted recommendation of their red lipstick, which is a nice dark shade that stays on even after you eat and drink.

I thought I was finished but then the Pittsburgh CLO announced that “Dixie’s Tupperware Party” would be taking up residence at the CLO Cabaret for the next several weeks.  Rumor has it that our hostess, Dixie Longate puts on quite a show and actually sells Tupperware in the lobby during the show.  So, in the second week of October, I will be coming full circle and my husband and I will have a chance to replenish our Tupperware supply.

It sounds like fun…as long as Dixie understands that I am NOT going to be hosting a party.

If you want to check out Dixie’s Tupperware Party for yourself, check out http://www.pittsburghclo.org/shows/view/52/refer:upcoming-shows or call 412-456-6666.   

2 comments:

  1. OMG! You mean that after all these years of counting calories and watching carbs- of going to the gym and aerobic classes - of Jazzercise and Zumba - the missing link (pun fully intended) to weight loss is long jewelry!?! Now I know how Dustin Hoffman felt in The Graduate when he heard the word "plastics"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, yes, it was that simple the whole time. :-)

    ReplyDelete

On This Day My Child Was Born

  It  was February 13 th .  I was 8 ½ months pregnant and returning to work after my weekly gynecologist appointment. My doctor said he th...