Monday, February 27, 2012

And the Winner Is....

When you read this, the Oscar broadcast will be over, but they are not the only awards that were bestowed last week. I found out that my essay “Honestly, Do You Really Want the Truth?” won an Honorable Mention in America’s Humor Press’ December/January contest, the first writing contest I’ve entered since starting this blog in 2009.

As a character on The Mentalist said last week, “I won’t let false modesty tarnish this moment...”

They like me, they REALLY like me.  THANK YOU to the judges at America’s Humor Press for choosing me.  I am honored to have been in the company of my fellow awardees, all of whom are pretty damn funny.  Thank you to all my faithful readers, and to all my teachers and mentors who encouraged me to write, and to all my family and friends for their love and support.  Thanks to my Dad, for giving me the gift of gab…my in-laws for being my number one fans…my sisters for agreeing to be mentioned in my column as long as they are not actually named…my most precious son for being so interesting and giving me so much good material (starting with the day he was born)… and to my most wonderful husband – you are my heart, my soul, and the one who first said, “Why don’t you write a blog?”

What?  What do you mean I’m running long and need to wrap this up?  There are no time limits in my blog.  I could make this blog one big acceptance speech if I like – it’s my blog!  Sure I know it isn’t an Oscar or anything, but you have your awards, and I have mine.

Back to the Oscars, I always wanted to do one of those columns where I predict the winners – you know, where I tell you who will win and who should win, but the Academy foiled me this year with so many nominations  from so many different movies. I did not have enough time to watch all 9 Best Picture nominees, much less dig up all the movies with nominated performances.  But here are my thoughts, written before the broadcast, based upon what I’d seen (and the actual results follow, reported as they happened):

BEST PICTURE:  I saw five of the nine nominated films:  The Artist, The Descendants, The Help, Midnight in Paris, and Moneyball.  The Artist will and probably should win.  It was unique and totally brilliant.  Personally, I enjoyed watching The Help the most- it would sweep the Movies Rip Liked in 2011 Awards. 

Reporting LIVE! from my couch: The Artist wins.

BEST ACTOR:  I saw three of the nominated performances:  George Clooney in The Descendants; Jean Dujardin in The Artist; and Brad Pitt in Moneyball.  Either Clooney or Dujardin will win, but George Clooney should win.  As an actor essentially playing in a silent film, Dujardin had to be and was over-the-top, with huge emotions, expressions and actions.  As a real-life husband coping with the loss of his wife, and developing relationships with his two daughters, Clooney was exceptional – nuanced and subtle, and sometimes conveying the emotion his character was feeling with just a subtle change in the expression in his eyes, or a quiet sigh.  He couldn’t even rely on his physical appearance to aid him because there is nothing than you can do to make George Clooney look anything but ruggedly handsome.

Reporting LIVE! from my couch:  Jean Dujardin wins. He loves our country, as well he should.

BEST ACTRESS:  I only saw Viola Davis in The Help in this category.  Without knowing anything about the other nominated performances, I’m rooting for her because when I see the actress she is nothing like the character she played so well.  Either Meryl Streep (The Iron Lady) or Davis will win.

Reporting LIVE! from my couch:  Meryl Streep wins, and it’s hard to begrudge her that.  I’m sure her performance was brilliant because it always is.  She acts like she can’t believe she won.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR:  I only saw Jonah Hill in Moneyball, and I predict that he will not win, because I don’t understand why he was even nominated.  Subtlety is one thing, but being practically catatonic is another.  Christopher Plummer (Beginnings) will win.

Reporting LIVE! from my couch:  At the age of 82, Christopher Plummer becomes the oldest person to win an acting Oscar.  He says he’s been practicing his acceptance speech since he came out of the womb.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS:  I saw four of the five nominated performances!  Berenice Bejo in The Artist, Jessica Chastain in The Help, Melissa McCarthy in Bridesmaids, and Octavia Spencer in The Help. Octavia Spencer will win, and Jessica Chastain should win.

Reporting LIVE! from my couch:  Octavia Spencer wins.  She looks great, and is too verklempt to give a coherent acceptance speech.

So that’s a wrap on my Awards blog.  I know George Clooney may be as disappointed as I am at his loss, but I hope that he takes some consolation in the fact that I have been appreciating his work since his Facts of Life days.

3 comments:

  1. I am taking up a collection to send Anjolina Jolie a sandwich, if you're interested. She looked exactly like a Holocaust camp survivor, if they wore gowns. Yikes! And congratulations to you too. Love Kush

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry but I'm not sending any of my hard-earned money to Angelina. If she wants a sandwich, she can afford to buy it herself! LOL And, thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreeing with Anonymous re Angelina Jolie. I kept saying "What's wrong with her arms? Look at her arms."

    As for you Ms.Rip, kudos, applause, and atagirl. You deserve a gold statue for your mantel. I hope America's Humor Press at least sends you a certificate suitable for framing.

    ReplyDelete

On This Day My Child Was Born

  It  was February 13 th .  I was 8 ½ months pregnant and returning to work after my weekly gynecologist appointment. My doctor said he th...