Sunday, August 14, 2011

"Rip's Carousel" (Reinventing the Wheel)

Director Diane Paulus is reinterpreting Porgy and Bess, the 1945 Gershwin opera, in an upcoming Broadway theater production of the work that she plans to call The Gershwins' Porgy and Bess.  If I understand it correctly, she is keeping most of the music but is shortening the piece and adapting it to make the characters more multi-dimensional and accessible to today’s audiences (in her opinion).  She is doing so with the full blessings of the estates of George Gershwin, Ira Gershwin, and DuBose Heyward, who co-wrote the lyrics with Ira and was the author of the novel Porgy upon which the original opera was based. http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/07/theater/porgy-and-bess-with-audra-mcdonald.html?pagewanted=3&_r=1
No big deal, right? Not only is it the prerogative of a director to interpret a work, isn’t updating and reinterpreting classic works (even sometimes opera) all the rage on Broadway? One has to imagine that when writing “Rent” that Jonathan Larsen veered much further from Puccini’s La Boheme than Paulus is straying from the original Porgy and Bess.

Ah, but the “purists,” including no less than Stephen Sondheim himself, have risen up to condemn Paulus, her interpretation, and her viewpoints. http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/08/10/stephen-sondheim-takes-issue-with-plan-for-revamped-porgy-and-bess/?hpw  My first thought was "What does Sondheim care?" He has allowed several drastic reinterpretations of his own works (e.g. Sweeney Todd, Company) in recent years. Of course, he is entitled to his opinion, just as Paulus is entitled to hers.

I pretty much love everything the Gershwins ever wrote, and I am not familiar enough with Porgy and Bess in its entirety to have a personal opinion about whether the work needs to be reinterpreted. I can tell you that there are musicals that I would re-write in a heartbeat, given the chance.

Let’s examine Carousel by Rodgers and Hammerstein for just a second, shall we? I loathe the book of this show, and let me tell you why. (SPOILER ALERT- the rest of this blog reveals most of the plot of “Carousel.”)

Okay, so Carousel is about Billy Bigelow, a carnival worker, who takes up with sweet-young-thing Julie Jordan. He marries her, loses his job, beats her because he is frustrated that he is unemployed, gets her pregnant, and then dies while committing a burglary so that he can feed the family. A series of bad choices, if you ask me. Inexplicably, Billy is not sent straight to Hell when he dies, but instead spends 15 years in purgatory.

Then an angel sends him down to earth to redeem himself by helping his troubled 15-year-old daughter, Louise. He talks to her for a while, and THEN smacks her. Julie tells her daughter, and this is a quote: "Sometimes a hit is just like a kiss." This somehow turns Louise around, and Billy gets into heaven. It glorifies domestic violence, and that was never acceptable, even in the 40's when it was written. It literally makes my skin crawl.

It’s a shame really, because it has a nice subplot about Carrie, Julie’s quirky best friend, and Mr. Snow, the decent (if less glamorous) fisherman she marries, and some exceptionally beautiful songs by Rodgers and Hammerstein, whose work I admire as much as I do the Gershwins. You’ll Never Walk Alone is a song I can sing by a character I could play (cousin Nettie), but I could never live with myself if I appeared in a production of Carousel as written.

This is why I would love to get my hands on Carousel. We could call it Rip’s Carousel. It wouldn’t take much to fix it. First things first, I would cut This Was a Real Nice Clambake, one of the most inane songs in all of musical theater history. “The vittles we et [sic] were good you bet.” Boy, they don’t write lyrics like that anymore. Thank goodness.

Then all I would have to change is the ending. Billy would return to earth and explain to his daughter that it is never okay for a man to hit a woman under any circumstances. He might even apologize for making her life so difficult. Julie would tell her that while she loved her father, his violent temper and abusive nature ruined her life and caused his early death, and that is why she, Louise, should never accept that kind of behavior in a man or in herself. Louise would have the guidance that would give her a fighting chance for a happy life, and Billy would go to heaven.

Then I…um, I mean Cousin Nettie…would return to the stage to lead the entire company in a rousing encore of You’ll Never Walk Alone.

7 comments:

  1. If only Rodgers & Hammherstein had listened to their mother! They would have written "Charoset", a Passover musical.
    Songs include:
    -This Was a Real Nice Seder ("...the brisket we ate, was tasting great, the matzoh balls were the same..."
    -My Boy Bill (the doctor)
    -You're a Meeskite, Julie Jordan
    -Alone, Schmalone, So Long as Your Happy (sung by Tante Nettie)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, sure, as long as I get to play Tante Nettie :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I loves you, Porgy! Don't let them take me! Don't let them handle me, with their hot hands..." Ms. Paulus would be well advised to heed Bess' plea! Let her write a love story of her own. Leave Porgy and Bess alone!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know you felt so strongly about this! In Paulus' defense, she is a director, not a writer, which means it is her job to interpret the work of others.

    ReplyDelete
  5. But as a director, she should interpret the work of people who hire her to interpret their work.
    Neither of the Gershwins are in a position to decide whether or not they want her tampering with their work. Maybe I wouldn't find it so offensive if she didn't title it "Gershwin's Porgy and Bess". It is not Gershwin's. It is Paulus'. There have been any number of updated
    versions of Shakespeare's work and ancient Greek myths for instance. But the interpreters do not have the presumption to title their work with the original names. As you may have guessed, I love Porgy and Bess. The very walls of my home have trembled when I have belted out Bess' passion. (When nobody else is there, of course.)

    And, just for the record, you can do anything you like to Carousel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, I haven't noticed anyone leaping to Carousel's defense yet.

    Your theory would mean that no one could ever re-interpret the work of anyone who is dead. That seems impractical. However, I will allow that naming it "Gershwin's Porgy and Bess" is probably misguided and actually incorrect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. BTW, actually, there are THREE movies entitled "William Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet" made since the 1950's.

    ReplyDelete

On This Day My Child Was Born

  It  was February 13 th .  I was 8 ½ months pregnant and returning to work after my weekly gynecologist appointment. My doctor said he th...